Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Autism and plane spotting ??

Post Autism and plane spotting ?? 
Hi,

I just wondered what peoples' thoughts were over the possible link between autism and "spotting" ??  It doesn't have to be plane spotting, it could be train spotting, lorry spotting, any type of "spotting" really.

I started fast jet plane spotting in my late teens, and it played a big part of my life for years. I loved the noise, power, the photography, the travelling, the isolation in beautiful places, etc, but thought nothing of it. It was only in my early 40's when someone mentioned "aspergers" to me, that I looked into a bit, and thought I had some of the traits. I hadn't even heard of aspergers until that day. Now I know what it is, it's changed my whole perception of myself. My love of things being logical, need for lists, lack of empathy and emotion, no "filter", social anxiety, etc.

Does this sound familiar with anyone, or am I the only one, and wished I'd kept my mouth shut ??  Crazy

Cheers,
Graeme.

It does sound familiar .. and in my Role as a Traffic Officer , I see lots of Eddie Stobart Spotters and some of those (I won't say suffer as most People with Aspergers/Autism/ADHD I've met are stunningly happy and great People) have the Traits and they have the love for lists and photography..

although I don't suffer from Autism, I do like Getting away from the City, CLimbing the Hill, shooting the sh!t with a bunch of friendly like-minded people, having a laugh, enjoying the Scenery and silence and the odd bit of getting your eardrums blasted by excessive jet noise!

Steve @funtera
EOS50D & EF 70-300mm IS USM Combo
HATO/FOX2 Refugee

Hi Tiger, funny you should say that as my GF thinks I display some traits of Asperger's or Autism but I've never been tested.

I can sometimes display a lack of emotion, I too suffer with Social anxiety which is why quite often I would rather be on my own, one of the reasons why I take myself up to Foel Caerynwch to watch planes as I know hardly anyone else goes up there.  I've also suffered from bad relationships with Ex girlfriends which has affected me badly and has scarred me psychologically which has in turn impacted my ability to trust others, especially women.

I don't suffer like this all of the time but on occasions I do so I can kind of relate to how you feel. I too have similar hobbies; I like planes, I like cars, I like fast cars in particular and I'm a huge Petrolhead.  I like trains too although this is more of a fascination with Diesel Locomotives rather than being an actual trainspotter but we're all different at the end of the day dude.  You could well have autism as could I.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1