This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Rubbish left on the Hills

Post Rubbish left on the Hills 
Hi guys a mate of mine was on a walking trek and made a circular hike around cadair idris and back down via the Cad west view point to which we all sit and get the photos .He said to me he new he was at the right location because of rubbish left there , ie sandwich packets etc .

Everytime I have been on a hill I have noticed everybody leaves the place tidy so im hoping it wasnt one of us ,sounds like just kids to me doing what they do best .

Hope you dont mind me passing this message on ,from a former mate of mine in the Marines .

Jamie

i did notice the excessive amount of cigarette ends on the ground when i was up there last week but didnt notice any general rubbish

www.flickr.com/photos/alastairbegley
www.masterplan-photography.co.uk

I have picked up loads of rubbish up there. I have no idea who is doing this but they should take a moment and consider the implications this might have for all of us, not to mention what happens to sheep that eat cigarette buds.

My Zenfolio Site

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Report post

The last time i was in Wales at the beginning of March, i picked up about 40 cigerette ends from the usual spot on the exit!
It is obvious that it is a lowfly tog doing this.
Cigerette ends should be put into an empty bottle or box and taken down with you.

Come on guys, it is not that difficult to take your rubbish home with you.

Cheers,
Paul

Well said guys. In all the years I have been going on the hills I have never seen
so much rubbish than of late. Ok with some of the paper especially on the West you could say some
is blown up from the road & lay-by we all know how windy it gets there. But fag ends no on Wed Pat
collected a pile of ends he was going to take a photo and post it for all to see.
Lets not make a bad name for ourselves.
                    "M"

As a smoker, I have to stand up for myself and make a point that I do put mine into a bottle or empty packet and take them home. It is after all something that could ruin the whole hobby for all of us if the farmers decide to stop us from using their land. It would also add more fuel to the fire for the likes of the local residents who do not want us there full stop. With regards to the rubbish, do what I do, it is easy enough to take a carrier bag with you, tie it to your kit bag, and use it for the day, simple. We shouldn't really be having to write about this, it's common sense.

Regards

Tal

Website Flickr Youtube Twitter

I always take my rubbish home.  Most of it is on a memory card.

I must say that everyone that I was with at the end of each day (monday and tuesday) made a rubbish sweep. There was a little but not a lot. I think that this fag end problem is the one that is going to cause the most upset.
Fair play to you Tal, I did notice that every time you had a fag you then stubbed it out and put it in your bag  Good

I have lost count the number of times i have gone running across the hill side chasing a wrapper of some kind that has escaped my grip........  but always catch it!

Cheers

Pete

I hold my hand up, I did not make an effort to retain my cigarette end's ( Did not want to set my bag on fire like niel did on cad lol sorry niel its still funny mate ) but will now make a conscious effort to do so.

Apologies guys.

Last edited by DAZZYD on Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total

To be honest I never even thought about the fag ends, I never leave rubbish but I never picked my fag butts up.. I apologize for this and from now on I will put them in an empty bottle....

Sorry, wont happen again...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Report post

i too will apologise, although i do make an effort to have a bottle/can to use as an ash tray, as Tal made use of that day on't middle shelf. I'll make sure that an empty bottle/can, and next time I'm up there i'll pick up any others i see. non smokers shouldn't have to pick up fag butts, maybe the smokers within this group can have a concerted effort to eradicate this problem!

Charlie

Glad this has been brought up. Its so easy to leave behind something up the hills, sometimes the wind blows something away etc etc, but we must all make an effort.

Respect to Charlie and Tony for owning up, well done guy's, not everyone would of done that Good

Mark

Mark

www.mjaviation.co.uk
www.facebook.com/MjAviation
07817 905537

"Respect to Charlie and Tony for owning up, well done guy's, not everyone would of done that"

Apparently not.  Drinks or Beer

Mark, i shall not be up for a while, on crutches for 8 weeks but next time i am i'll have a good litter pick before packing up

But fag ends no on Wed Pat
collected a pile of ends he was going to take a photo and post it for all to see.
Lets not make a bad name for ourselves.

Sorry for not posting that photo M!! I feckin brought them back to the Red Lion and left them in a ziploc bag in a drawer in the dresser and forgot about them!! Yikes!! Anyone staying in Room 6, their in the right hand drawer, Sorry!!

Anyhoo, I was f@#kin fuming when I seen 20+ butts, spread around a 10 ft radius on Cad West when I arrived there at 07.30 on Weds 14th April 2010, so it was the 13th they were dropped. The majority of them had a gold ring around the filter (just so the guilty party knows!!). I also picked up Mars bar wrappers and chewing gum wrappers (Juicey fruit). Now I know these things can blow away out of ones hand, I spent the day chasing the same wrapper on the Bwlch one day after it escaped me several times, but fag butts dont!!

I have been going to the Loop for 8 years now and Ive gotten to know a  lot of the locals in Dinas and the surrounding area and they have noticed the increase in rubbish in the lay-bys which of course, I hope, is not ours. But all it takes is a farmer to walk up to a photog spot and see the fag butts etc to ruin it all!! Indeed just a point to note, I know a farmer who lost a sheep due to it ingesting a plastic bag (now this could have blown from the road).
 So what you might say?? ....Well this farmer owns the northside of the Bwlch, The Spur and Bluebell. Do we want Bluebell and the Spur to become like hill 15??? As a matter of fact, the spur overlooks his house and he's kind enough to let us stand looking into his back yard all day!!!

I know this may be a bit much but as Ive said before, I think we should all make an effort to keep the place tidy and make ourselves less obvious. 20 people hanging over the Bwlch with high viz jackets and 10 foot wide flags is sorta making us a target for more than just planes!! Did you know that The locals in Dinas can see us on the Bwlch from the road as far away as the bottom of Hill 15?? I know this doesnt bother most people but more and more there are comments being made in the village about the lay-bys being full etc. Lets not forget that the farmer needs access to the gates. After all, many people might forget, we are actually standing on his farm!!!!!

Im not trying to put a downer on our hobby but we need to see sense, if not just till this whole banning low flying thing blows over, again!!! I suppose its our own fault for loving the hobby so much that its snowballed beyond all control!! I mean everytime I go to the Loop and even when I used to go to the lakes I had someone turn up and say, is this where you can see the jets? I was one of them 8 years ago, but back them I was on film as were a lot of people, and you had to get it right everytime but with the advent of digital sure everyone can rattle a 1000 shots off and get something!  I often went to the Loop for a week and only seen Meirion or stood on my own on Cad for 2 days!
There where two guys on the exit last month who seen the Loop on the net and took a chance and drove to Wales to find it. They didnt know where to climb up so they popped into a farm to ask the farmer, the fukin owner of Hill15 !!!!!!!!!! He just told them he didnt know!! Lucky them!!  Bullocks

Anyhoo, dont know where Im going with this, just venting!  Shout  Im not trying to say this was my hobby for 8 yrs now F@#k off back to trainspotting or Eddie Stobart spotting, indeed Im 3rd generation Loop spotter, but you have to admit, its getting pretty crowded on the hills.  So all I can say is lets please make an effort to keep the locals happy!

I know this is a public forum so hope this is not going to cause s**t. Remove it if you think so lads!!

TATA,
         Pat.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next