Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
All member please read- Operation Fairway

Post All member please read- Operation Fairway 
Today i have had an opportunity to photograph a two ship of Army Lynx as they were going in for a refuel at Beacon Barracks (Stafford). All was going well until the TSW guys came over and questioned what me and my dad were doing! Unfortunately the communications from security had not filtered through to these guys as we have been questioned on many occasions.....
During my conversation with the TSW guys they asked us to stop taking photos as they did not want us to take pictures of the 2 Lynx, i explained that we had permission to be there from security but this information had not been passed on........... Cutting a long story short i drove to the main gate and spoke to someone high up and they explained Operation Fairway! This gives the police the option to take camera equipment off photographers even if you are in a public place, like i was. They said i can not take photographs of MOD property and cannot put my camera through the gap in the gate and they were touchy on us getting side on shots of the arriving rotaries as they said it displays the number of the aircraft. I have found this link off Amateur photographer and it just clarified everything that i had been told.
http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/photo-news/534724/photography-and-terrorism-day-in-the-life-of-project-griffin

Cheers Dan

Interesting. Thanks for sharing Dan. What is TSW in this context?

Could they have been Special Ops maybe hence why they were so reluctant to be photographed?

Thanks Dan, I usually moan like hell and tell em to do one,might think twice now Smile

Canon 5DSR

Canon 300 2.8
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Report post

Could they have been Special Ops maybe hence why they were so reluctant to be photographed?

On this occasion no, but they do pass through. The law has recently been introduced apparently, i had a good conversation with the Army security and he explained how the Operation works and i could see his point. I am trying to build bridges the best i can with them Good

I think the key point from the link you posted is that people have the right to ask you what you're doing, and if they think you're up to no good to get the police involved. If anyone does have their camera confiscated it will almost certainly be unlawfully (i.e. not sufficient evidence to do so).

In any case, I still believe that they're not allowed to delete any of your photos.

In my opinion, you handled that in the best way possible....be polite all the time, explain what you're doing, and if they're having none of it, just walk away Smile

.mic

Quite willing to be corrected here but you actually break the official secrets act if you take photo (or sketches just to show how old the rule is(1911)) of anything inside a MOD facility without prior permission. Once a plane clears the fence its fair game. The rule is very, very infrequently enforced but I believe has been used around Boscombe on occasions.

Outside of the base the police (Not MOD police) can use Section 44 of The Terrorism Act 2000 to stop, question and to a limited extent search you. It does not give them the right to either seize your equipment or delete photo's (the later needs a court order). However, it is very probably in your best interests to cooperate, esp. if you have already fallen foul of the OSA above!

Cheers Simon

Coming to convert a Nikon user near you
No electrons were harmed or killed in the production of this post

View my photos at bighugelabs.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Report post

Need to read up on the OSA definitions....but yes, they enforce the no shots through the fence rule at Boscombe (and are very friendly about it Smile )

Here's the Met's guide to photography.... http://content.met.police.uk/Site/photographyadvice

.mic

Quite willing to be corrected here but you actually break the official secrets act if you take photo (or sketches just to show how old the rule is(1911)) of anything inside a MOD facility without prior permission. Once a plane clears the fence its fair game. The rule is very, very infrequently enforced but I believe has been used around Boscombe on occasions.

Outside of the base the police (Not MOD police) can use Section 44 of The Terrorism Act 2000 to stop, question and to a limited extent search you. It does not give them the right to either seize your equipment or delete photo's (the later needs a court order). However, it is very probably in your best interests to cooperate, esp. if you have already fallen foul of the OSA above!

Before today i had spoken to security on the phone who had given clearence as he said we were on private land with permission, i explained this to the TSW guys whodid not seem bothered. I understand why they question people but when you go to a place on a regular basis you would think you would know what we are doing?

Post TWS 
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN TWS?

Regards Ray Smith
Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Post TSW 
Sorry TSW PLAIN ENGLISH IS BEST.

Regards Ray Smith
Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Post Re: TSW 
ukdrifter38 wrote:

Tactical Supply Wing. Please refrain from shouting on the forum (caps lock).

setups = upsets Bomb

Untitled-1

Post Re: TSW 
Ellins wrote:
ukdrifter38 wrote:

Tactical Supply Wing. Please refrain from shouting on the forum (caps lock).

Are you not shouting about your forest thing? Crazy  Rose

Canon 5DSR

Canon 300 2.8

Remember in the RAF, when on guard duty, being told to open the camera and spoil the film of anyone acting in a suspicious manner around the base. Always told it was legit, not that I ever did it. Mind you there was a cold war on then. Could have been special forces and they were just very touchy. Hope you have better luck next time Dan.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76763515@N03/
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1