Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Drone in Cad Valley...

Post Drone in Cad Valley... 
OK, I didn't know where to put this thread, so perhaps Admin can decide to move it or to keep it here...

We were on Cad East yesterday, and in mid-afternoon we were surprised by the sudden appearance of a little drone object that popped up and quickly disappeared. Regulars will know that Cad East is a pretty-near vertical drop, so we carefully peered over the side to see a chap with his radio control, parked in the small layby opposite the main Cad car park. To be fair, he didn't send it up again, and he was gone within 5 minutes.

Now, I don't want to be accused of turning into Victor Meldrew, but I do have (poor quality, but legible) photos of him controlling the thing, him picking it up off the ground and also the number plate of his blue Peugeot.

Thing is, this may have been a perfectly innocent chap thinking this was a good place to try his new toy out, but for it to appear above the top of Cad East sort of puts it in a dangerous place....I'm sure he was unaware of the low flying possibility, but can you imagine the potential for harm if it became a popular place to fly the things?

I'm not sure what, if anything, can be done to prevent future amateurs flying these things in the Loop generally - probably nothing - but is there, perhaps, some potential for a sign or something to be erected in the Cad car park area to try and warn people of the potential risks? I know there has been at least one other instance of a togger being able to prevent drone flying by amicably informing the "pilot" of the low-fly possibility.

Rant over!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/victorthesecond
Canon 70d
Canon 300mm f4 L
Canon 70-300IS USM
Canon 50mm f1.8
Canon 28mm f2.8
Tamron 17-50mm f2.8
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Report post

IMO people should be doing research into the area they're going to be flying them in, that just seems like common sense to me. I know to use them commercially you now need a license, I don't think it'll be long before they try to in force something that requires everyone to have a license.

My Website | My Twitter | My Facebook Page
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Report post

How anyone could think that that was the best /safest place to fly, even without it been a low level flying area needs to be dealt with. Its only a matter of time before a serious situation arises.

Crazy!!! Fool

Mark

www.mjaviation.co.uk
www.facebook.com/MjAviation
07817 905537

It has already been said that these drones pose a massive danger to aviation in general , only a few months ago we had the Manchester airport incident!

As Lloyd says I think controls on the selling and operating will not be far away , to hopefully control the downright stupid!

Cheers Gareth

I need to be on a hill!

If you don't know of the Loops 'existence' it's a very odd place to launch a drone, in a tight valley with no real landscape to film/photograph.

If you know of the loops existence and you flew the drone then its downright stupid.

I'm partly inclined to think whoever flew it, knew where they were yet failed to think of the consequences on what was by and large a busy day in the Loop.

setups = upsets Bomb

Untitled-1

i'm concerned that this individual did risk aircrew safety, also that of road users. that said, he deserves some friendly advice from someone in uniform in my opinion.

just like to say i nearly bought one myself but as lloyd said i think its going to be a hassle in the future to fly them so i didn`t........as for the blue peugeot...it wasnt me!!

http://www.frontlinefighters.com/#

I would say hes thought to himself Lets take the P out of the photographers and done it for a personal laugh.

I have a few play-time R/C I/R bits .. but that ain't the best spot by a long shot ..
as Ellins said, it's a stupid place to fly it .. might've been the driver saw the layby- thought "Oh I can have a play"
blipped it up and then spotted everyone , Landed it and left hastily !
tighter Regs need to be in place not just for Aviation but the General Public as well.
I saw a Bloke get smacked by an R/C Helicopter last month and it wasn't pretty (R/C Owner got Fined)

Now We have a Rifle/Shotgun for the Crows ... and now one for the Drones ! lol

We were watching him and we knew he was up to no-good by the way he was behaving! I thought he was just going to have a quick one behind a rock!! but then saw the drone on the floor, as soon it was airborne we lost sight of it! it wasnt up long 1 to 2 min but hadnt realised it had reached the top of East!
      Pilots are banned from going within 50m of any vessel, vehicle or building not under their control. They cannot fly within 50m of a person except during take-off.
      You are responsible for each flight.
This might seem obvious but with great power, comes great responsibility. Even with a governing set of laws and guidelines, ultimately each flight has to be planned, controlled and executed by the pilot. This means using your knowledge of the CAA rules combined with good old common sense to ensure your drone flies safely, each and every time you get it out of the box.
Every flight will be different because of the weather, location and the ever unpredictable general public. You need to be aware at all times of any variable that could affect your take off, flight and landing.

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=1995

Elwyn, you're obviously thinking of THAT lady on Cad East when you get talking about "a quick one behind a rock"......Behave!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/victorthesecond
Canon 70d
Canon 300mm f4 L
Canon 70-300IS USM
Canon 50mm f1.8
Canon 28mm f2.8
Tamron 17-50mm f2.8

I know Mike its the only reason I go up now!!  Im getting to that age now [Dirty Old man!]

Posty has summed it up pretty much. In addition you are not unless with expressed permission from CAA allowed to fly within 150 metres of any congested area. So by rights if he Had launched it from the top of cad by rights it's perfectly legal. I have to disagree with Lloyd as the backdrop of take y llyn would make for a good aerial picture especially with 140 degree f.o.v. I suspect he probably has no knowledge of lfa7 or Mach loop or you'd like to think so. Like posty says these drones if they have cameras fitted are bound by the rules of the air under the Air Navigation Order 2009. I can see them being registered and licenced in due course which I think is needed to prevent instances such as this. The operator should really place a temporary avoid with valley in the area the drone is operating in.

Cheers

Si

Twitter Si_Bridgwater

Elwyn, you're obviously thinking of THAT lady on Cad East when you get talking about "a quick one behind a rock"......Behave!

Last Summer a woman came and sat on top of the rocks on East, took her top off and sat there in a bra. Is this "That lady"?

Im sure she will future in my next video Chris! but this was a photo-shoot! she went from a bride to a naked lady!!

Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next