Reply to topic Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Mobile browsing

Post Mobile browsing 
I have now implemented a system whereby you can assign the name of your mobile device in your profile. What will happen then, is that the website will test and see if it finds that word in the browser identifier string (known as browser user agent). Every browser identifies itself, so it is a matter of finding a unique word in that browser identifier string that your mobile browser transmits. I.e "iPhone", "BlackBerry", "Nokia", or "Android". It is very important not to be too specific, but rather to find a unique word. The testing system is case sensitive, so "iphone" won't work, but "iPhone" will.

What then happens is that a light-weight template will be presented to your device. I have tested this on an iPhone and it does execute faster. If you want to check your browser's identifier string with your mobile device, you can do so here. The idea is that your mobile device will always get the light weight template (as long as you're logged in), and your regular computer will get the normal template.

Let me know how you get on.

My Zenfolio Site

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Report post

Posting this from my iPhone after entering it into my profile. Lightning fast over a 3G signal now. Nice work Joe

Yoda -"Anger, fear, aggression... the dark side are they. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny"
Nikon- "ISO, focus, usability... the dark side are they. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny" :#D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ed_evans/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Report post

Awesome!! I hope a lot of people will use this. I have just done some more testing on my iPhone and it IS markedly faster. Also, if someone has a mobile device but want the full monty template, simply leave that profile field empty.

My Zenfolio Site

I typed 'Nokia' in the designated field and it works!  Yahoo!

It would definately help saving on my telephone bill as it was hughe last month after visiting this site and others up the hill in Wales  Confused

Lightning fast Clapping , i entered it on my PC profile and now the option is missing from my profile to revert, any ideas ?

My AP.net Photos | My FlickR | Twitter: @airXphoto

Lightning fast Clapping , i entered it on my PC profile and now the option is missing from my profile to revert, any ideas ?

Ah yes, of course. Sorted.

My Zenfolio Site

Cheer Joe, great touch to the site BTW Clapping

My AP.net Photos | My FlickR | Twitter: @airXphoto

I have got a Samsung Wave popped in the word Samsung in my profile.....loading like an Express train, Well done Joe!

Cheers Gareth

I need to be on a hill!

Faster for the BlackBerry bold too.... Drinks or Beer

Excellent! Much quicker on my iPhone 3GS.

Another vote for using a Blackberry from me..... no problems here Good  Yahoo!

Cheers
Stuart.

Tried it on my Hero running Android 2.1 today, definite improvement. Nice one Joe Very Happy

.mic

Top marks Joe, much more user freindly now.

Cheers guys! Have split this into a new topic Drinks or Beer

My Zenfolio Site

Reply to topic Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next