Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Mach Loop Parking

Post Mach Loop Parking 
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/aircraft-spotters-ticketed-a470-lay-13329443

Aircraft spotters ticketed for A470 lay-by obstruction

Police called to deal with 'chaos' as vehicles were blocked in by other motorists eager to watch the unusual aircraft fly the Mach Loop

90SharesComments

ByEryl Crump

05:00, 14 JUL 2017

News
Aircraft enthusiasts who obstructed vehicles in a lay-by and parked on the verge of a busy road were issued with tickets by police.

Officers were called to the layby on the A487 between the Cross Foxes pub and Minffordd near Dolgellau after vehicles were blocked by other drivers.

The fine sunny weather and the Royal International Air Tattoo being staged at RAF Fairford near Gloucester this weekend attracted hundreds of photographers keen to see rare and unusual aircraft flying the Mach Loop.

Dozens of cars had packed into the lay-by by 6am on Wednesday.

While other vehicles parked on grass verges nearby some enthusiasts simply parked their cars in the layby blocking other vehicles in.
Read More

A car park on the A470 at Bwlch yr Oerddrws near Dinas Mawddwy was also reported to be busy with other vehicles parked on grass verges but no problems were reported at that location.

Enthusiast Tony Billings from Welshpool , who visited the Talyllyn area, said: “It was chaotic from the early morning and tempers flared and the police were called. But there was little officers could do until the drivers of the vehicles which were parked inconsiderately in the lay by returned off the hillside.”

Although local authorities lead on parking enforcement these powers do not extend to areas alongside major trunk routes.
Read More

A North Wales Police spokesman confirmed officers were called at 11.30am and issued Traffic Offence Reports to motorists for causing an obstruction.

“Police will take action and as a result of some motorists leaving cars in a position where they were causing an obstruction received tickets.

“If the situation continues more motorists will find themselves with some hefty fines.”

A regular visitor to the area, Mr Billings said the layby has been used as a parking spot by enthusiasts for years.

“It’s meant for slow moving vehicles like HGVs and tractors to pull into and allow others to pass and normally it’s never packed like this,” he added.

Writing on a Mach Loop Facebook page Pete Hurst said: “Some shocking irresponsible parking today those who parked there like they did should be ashamed.”

Pete Nobrot Cross added: “It was dangerous, a tanker lorry had to swerve into the other lane just as a campervan came over the hill... it woke both drivers up.”

Mr Billings said the area could be a victim of its own success.

“It was a cracking day weatherwise. Clear, sunny and warm and the Loop was busy with lots of interesting aircraft flying through. I saw the Belgian Air Force F-16s in their display colours and a pink-coloured RAF Tornado which many had come to see.

“It’s getting too crowded for its own good,” he said.

Always going to happen , restrictions or pay to park the next step methinks!

Cheers Gareth

I need to be on a hill!

got a feeling Monday will have a Police Car there from Early on telling people to park considerately or move on! it's gonna be manic!

Steve @funtera
EOS50D & EF 70-300mm IS USM Combo
HATO/FOX2 Refugee

This was going to happen sooner or later. Complete lack of common sense by some people - if its full move on and find somewhere else!
Potential for a big traffic accident because some were more bothered about seeing a few jets....

Al

Fox2 Banner2

My take on parking vehicles is to park in Dolgellau and Machynlleth or a big car park somewhere else and getting a mini bus to and from wherever you can and all this may make a big difference, yes I don't drive but could this be a solution? Unknown

it's a possible route Candy, but you've then got to ensure that everyone arrives and leaves at the same time, doesn't have any issues that they might have to shoot off for, everyone chips a bit in and they all get along!

Steve @funtera
HATO/FOX2 Refugee

Did anyone manage to a pic of the chaotic scenes.

pamike62 there was people who did on Cad East taking pictures of the whole sharade  Unknown

Maybe they should  have a sign saying parking in designated bays only and cars will be towed if not They could possibly add a few more spaces there by removing the grassed area near the road.Towing a few cars away would soon stop the idiots rather than a fine.The inconvenience of having to get  the car back will soon stop them.double yellows in other places people only learn when it inconveniences them.

regretfully PaMike, there are no designated bays within the Lay-by owing to HGVs using it to pull in for either Tacho Breaks or allowing trapped traffic to pass.
Removing the Grassed area will only encourage double/triple parking and possibly cause more accidents there..
The Layby is also inside the Snowdonia National Park .. so would it be them or Local County Council to enforce?
regretfully the best solution is hope that common sense prevails and people realise that if they're selfish then they'll risk losing (for all of us)what little areas we truly have to appreciate what these Aircrews do ..
As You know, Most of the Regular "Loopers" know and respect the "Unwritten" rules .. ie' Gates,Rubbish,Parking & Drones .. it's the "Opportunist" Toggers who stuff it up

Steve @funtera
HATO/FOX2 Refugee

Totally agree with you.I suppose its just frustration creeping in,just getting fed up with this sort of thing happening more and more.People standing in middle of wheat fields,large ladders leaning on Coningsby fenceline.Rubbish left in fields and on the hills etc etc.No doubt others have seen more than that.I have spoken to a couple of the farmers around Cad and they are really decent people who are just as interested as we are in the jets.

I talk to the Farmer on East so much He's woken me up asking if I want anything from the shops before (Yes, I've also asked Him when I've been on the way) , I've picked up bag loads of rubbish before ranging from ciggie butts (inc my own), wrappers, bottles and batteries and once worryingly 2 Co2 Cartridges and a couple of .177 pellets..

It is Frustration chap, and the Farmers/Truckers know who the Regular "Loopers" are as they've never had hassles with them

Steve @funtera
HATO/FOX2 Refugee

Do people expect it to die down somewhat after Monday?

honestly don't know Mate .. I booked the week off work before I knew RIATs Dates, so I'm there regardless ..

Steve @funtera
HATO/FOX2 Refugee

honestly don't know Mate .. I booked the week off work before I knew RIATs Dates, so I'm there regardless ..

Cheers mate. The gf and I are hoping to visit one day this week bar tomorrow of course. Silly question but would there likely still be parking at Cad if we got there around 8 or 9 or would you advise earlier?

Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next